I don’t have the time and space for big heavy machines. I don’t know which exercises are best for strength training! But like you, I wish to have something which is easy to handle and effective in carrying out exercises.
So what can that be?
Wondering, are you?
Resistance Bands and their target areas
1. Bent over row: Stand at the center of the band. Bend your knees and hold your hips and back high. Grasp each handle of the band keeping your knees outside. While your elbows are bent squeeze your shoulder and pull the bands towards your hips. Repeat for 10-12 steps.
2. Seated row: Sit down comfortably and extend your legs. Put the center of the band behind your feet. Stretch the band with both hands and stretch your arms while palm facing each other. Take care of your postures and sit straight. Bend your elbow and pull the band towards center while squeezing your shoulder. Do these exercises gently.
3. Pull apart: Slightly bend your knees, keeping feet shoulder- width apart. Catch hold of the bands with both the hands while maintaining your shoulder level with palm facing down. Keep your arms straight while pulling the band out and back until your shoulder blades contract.
4. Push Ups: Lie in plank position and drape the resistance band around your back. Put the ends of the loop in each thumb and place your hands on the ground i.e. facing the body down towards the ground.Stretch your arms fully and raise your back and putting your chest down and repeat 5-20 times.
5. Standing stretch press: Grip the tube band on cable column. Clutch each handle of the band with your back and fix your hands according to the height of your chest. Place your elbows upward and palm downward and then press the band straight until yours arms are fully extended.
6. Bench press: Hook a tube band and lie on a bench, facing the sky. Grasp a handle in each hand, positioning them at shoulder height and extending the arms in full extension in upward direction. Move your hands at the top towards each other and then lower your back and repeat for 10-12 times.
7. Front squat: Place your feet on the band somewhat wider than your shoulder. Hold the loops in each hand and try to bring over the shoulder. Be straight, putting your chest up, firming your abs and forcing your knees over your toes.
8. Leg extension: At a low position, hold the loop band and loop the other end of the band around your ankle with band locating behind you. Place yourself away from the band to create tension and set your feet and hip-width apart. Lift the right leg while moving your weight to the left foot. Enlarge the knee in full extension and gently rebound your leg from the place where you started. Repeat the same for 8-12 reps.
9.Lying leg curl: Place your belly down and curl a band around your right ankle. Walk away from the band so that tension could be created. Compress your core and bow your leg to the knee level, while you bring your heels towards your glutes. Calmly return to the starting position and repeat for 10-15 reps.
10. Supinated Clamshell: Just above your knees, curl a band around your legs. Place your knees and hips and stretched to 90 degree while you lay on your back. While compressing your gluts for 2-3 minutes, stretch your knees apart. Calmly return your body to the beginning position and repeat for 10-12 reps.
11.Standing abduction: Stand with your left side towards the anchor and anchor your loop hand till the height of the ankle. Link the free end to your outside ankle and walk away to create tension. Elevate your foot from the floor so that you can turn your leg back and during the time lift your working leg up. Compress your outer gluts; gently bring your looped foot outside. Repeat the same for 15-20 reps.
12. Overhead Press: Position yourself at the center of the band with feet shoulder width apart. Grasp each handle of the band and place your hands according to the shoulder level while your palms facing each other and your thumbs touching your shoulder. Elongate your arms fully and rotate your palms forward. Repeat the same for 10-15 reps.
13.Lateral raise: Position yourself at the center of the band, placing your shoulder and width apart. Clamp each of the handle with your arms at your side and palm facing in. Stretch your arms to the shoulder level and bow your elbows very lightly. Gently return to the initial position and repeat for 8-10 reps.
14.Forward raise: Again stand on center of the band with hips and shoulder width apart. Hold each handle when you position them with palm facing each other. Later, without embracing your elbows bring your stretched arm to the shoulder height in front of you. Place your back calmly to the starting position and repeat for 8-12 reps.
15.Upright row: Stand on center of the band with hips and shoulder width apart. Hold each handle of the band when you position them with palm facing each other in front of your thighs. Stretch the band up to the shoulder level. Keep your elbows curved and place in high V. Place your back calmly to the starting position and repeat for 10-12 reps.
Standing double bicep curl: Stand at the center of the band with feet shoulder width apart. Clutch a handle in each hand and place your arms at your side. Stretch your arms towards your shoulder, with palm facing in front of you to get good bicep contraction. Repeat for total 12-15 curls.
16. Overhead triceps extension: Rest yourself on the bench and place the center of a tube band below your gluts. Grasp a handle in each hand while stretching your arms up, curving your elbows so that hands are behind your back. Place your arms in upward direction and fully stretched them. Place your back calmly to the starting position and repeat for 10-12 reps.
17. Kneeling Crunch: Join the band to high anchor, grasping each side of the band as you bow down. Stretch your arms to the shoulder level employ your abdominals, while contracting your abs, crunch down toward your hips. Slowly return to starting position and repeat for 10-12 reps.
18. Reverse Crunch: Bend your band as you lay on your back while bending your knees to 90 degree angle. Cover the band around the feet and stretch yourself to create tension. Stretch your knees towards the shoulder while compressing your abdominal muscles.
19. Anti rotation band Walkouts: Position the loop slightly below your chest. Create tension on the band as you walk away and hold the free ends. When you hold both the hands in front of your chest, keep your core tight and step along side until the band is too strained to go any further. Slowly return to starting position and repeat the same for 6-8 reps.
I know it might be tough for you to get a hand on all these 20 exercises. But the pain is worth it! So go and pull off some resistance bands and work your way to a great body.
Feel free to share your views and experiences.