Every time I open it, the music plays, and I admire the little ballerina, perfectly poised in the middle of the box.
The toned and supple body, the flexibility, the pose, and the beauty. Just breathtaking!!!
Of all the dance forms, ‘Ballet’ is what I have loved the most and having a ballerina’s body is something I have always dreamt about. But again, which girl has not? And you know what? I say we still can have it today.
And no, I am not saying that we should go and learn ballet. It is physically impossible for most of us now.
All I am saying is we can always workout the ballerina way, minus all the difficult toe steps, and get that great body.
So what do you say girls?! Let’s do our workout the Ballerina way.
Dance off the weight
- Jive Hop
- Target Areas: Butt, Thighs, and Calves
- Stand with your feet together and with arms down at your side. Now jump and and while doing so kick your left foot to the side. Simultaneously throw your left arm up and your right arm outwards to its side while doing so. Repeat the same pattern with the other side.
- Lunge and Lift
- Target Areas: Shoulder, Butt, Thighs, Calves
- Stand with your legs together and arms stretched out at shoulder level. Extend your left leg forward keeping it a little to the side. Then cross the right leg behind the left and rise onto the balls of your feet. Stand in this position for 5 seconds and return to starting position. Repeat the pattern with the next feet.
- Rumba Reach
- Target Areas: Shoulders, Back, Obliques, Hips
- Keep your feet hip- width apart. Extend your left leg to the side, keeping your feet arched so that the toes point towards the floor. As you do so lift your hands above your head, keeping your palms inwards. Now bend your torso as far left as you can and then bend right. Keep this position for 10 seconds and return to starting position. Repeat with the other leg.
- Jive Cross
- Target Areas: Hips, Butt, Thighs, Calves
- Stand with your feet together and arms down. Jump a little and land onto the ball of your right foot as you kick the left leg across your body as high as you can, swinging the right arm across the body and the left arm at shoulder level. Repeat the same pattern with the left foot.
- Chicken Walk
- Target Areas: Obliques, Hips, Butt, Thighs, Calves
- Stand with feet apart, more than hip-width. Make sure that your toes are pointing outwards. Bend your right knee such that your right leg rests on your toes. Now twist your hips to the right. Place your hands outwards to the sides raised upto the waist level. Immediately change position to the left and now bend the left knee in the same way as with the right knee.Alternately, keep twisting right and left for one minute.
- The Rockette
- Target Areas: Shoulders, Abs, Butt, Thighs, Calves
- Stand straight with both legs together. Now slowly extend the right leg to the side. Raise your arms outwards till they are at shoulder level. Tuck your pelvis under and rise on to the ball of your left leg. Now lift your extended right leg off the floor and raise it up straight, until the thigh is parallel to the ground. Return to starting position, switch legs and repeat.
- Side Step Trimmer
- Target Areas: Shoulders, Back, Butt, Thighs, Calves
- Stand with your feet together, with hands on the sides, and your left heel lifted. Step the left leg to its side, keeping the knee a little bent, and with only the toes touching the ground . As you do so circle your left arm towards the right, across the chest, over your head, and then out towards the left side. Get back into normal position and repeat with the other side.
- Samba Squat
- Target Areas: Shoulders, Butt, Thighs, Calves
- Stand straight with both feet together. make sure that the toes of the right foot are turned outwards. Now extend your right foot forward with keeping the toes pointed towards the floor. Keep your arms crossed against your chest. Squat and as you do so raise your right arm overhead and your left arm out to the side at shoulder level. Stay in the position for 10 seconds and return to the starting position. Repeat with the other side.
- Paso Double Lift
- Target Areas: Shoulders, Back, Abs, Butt, Thighs
- Stand straight making sure that the toes of the left foot are turned outwards. place your hands on the side of your body. Extend your right leg to the front with the toes pointed on the floor. Now slightly raise your arms keeping them a little behind the hips. Tuck the pelvis under and bend your left knee. Then lift the right knee to the chest and raise your arms to shoulder level. Stay in the position for 5 seconds and return to normal position. Switch sides and repeat.
- Cross Step Crouch
- Target Areas: Butt, Thighs, Calves
- Stand with your left leg crossed behind your right leg. Keep your arms to the side at shoulder level. Crouch and touch the floor in front of you. Stay in the position for 10 seconds. Stand slowly and return to normal position. Switch legs and repeat.
- Cha- Cha Twist
- Target Areas: Shoulders, Triceps, Abs, Obliques, Hip
- Stand straight with both legs pressed against each other and with arms glued to the side. Lift the heel of the right leg, so that the knee bendsand drive the right hip forward to a twist. Keep the shoulders squatted to the front as you slide the right arm up and the left arm down. Immediately change sides and repeat the pattern on the other side.
- Jive Rear Kick
- Target Areas: Butt, Thighs, Calves
- Stand with both legs together and arms on the side. Make sure your right knee is not tense. Now cross your left leg behind your right leg, keeping the knee bent Let the left foot touch the right calf. Then raise your arms up till shoulder level and start hopping continually on the ball of the right foot for 5 counts, also making sure to kick the left leg behind you as far as possible. Get back to initial position and repeat with the other leg.
If you have any more dance moves to share, to be able to shake off those pounds, talk to us and we will respond. 🙂
Last Update: 18th Aug 2014
Next Update: 18th Oct 2014