So, whether you are currently working in medicine and healthcare or else are still studying at university or even high school, continue reading to discover the top five most in-demand careers in healthcare for 2022 and beyond.
Radiation therapists are part of a medical team working under a professional oncologist to prepare individual patients beforehand and then to assist in administering radiation treatments for not only cancer but for other illnesses and diseases as well.
The role of a radiation therapist is a multi-faceted one and not only involves directly preparing patients and often fitting specialized equipment, but also the provision of emotional support to both the patient themselves and their relatives.
Typical roles and responsibilities of a radiation therapist include, but are categorically in no way limited to, the following:
1. The use of computers & computing technologies to calculate the correct individual dosage of radiation treatment
2. Assisting and preparing the patient for braces, masks and other types of equipment ahead of their treatment
3. The constant and vigilant checking that all health and safety protocols and procedures are being followed at all times for the patient, the staff and family members
4. The consistent monitoring of the patient’s overall tolerance, in terms of both emotionally and physically, to the treatment as it is administered
5. The deep understanding and knowledge of operating of different types of treatment, and imaging equipment
6. The management and initial collection of all information related to each patient
7. The explaining of every step of each treatment plan to both the patient and the patient’s family
8. The timely scheduling of follow up appointments and check-ups for patients after the treatment is complete
Nurse Ward Manager
Training to become a nurse, nurse practitioner or indeed nurse ward manager, the latter of which are most highly in demand currently, both across the length and breadth of this country and beyond, is as challenging as it is rewarding.
If you are someone who is already a professional nurse and is looking to move up the proverbial chain, either within your current hospital or else in another medical institution, then it is strongly advisable that you enroll onto one of the renowned dnp executive leadership courses.
Typical roles and responsibilities of a nurse ward manager include the following, to name but a few:
1. To be in charge and proactively manage the health care and nursing team on the ward
2. To work closely alongside the advanced nursing practice team
3. Performance management
4. Working as a duty officer for the hospital or medical establishment
5. Risk management
6. Overall responsibility for a general surgical ward, or indeed more specialized ward
7. Being responsible for the monitor of treatment quality
8. Resource allocations across the ward
The role of a professional pharmacist is one that has always been in fairly high demand, but after the outbreak of the worldwide coronavirus pandemic in early 2020, companies and smaller medical and healthcare businesses are actively seeking qualified pharmacists to join their team.
The typical duties of a professional pharmacist include the following key roles:
1. The ordering of medications and storing in appropriate places and conditions
2. The delivery of community healthcare and wellbeing services
3. Arranging prescription deliveries and collections
4. The training, hiring, and initial recruitment of trainee pharmacists and pharmaceutical assistants
5. Working alongside and indeed leading all pharmaceutical staff to work towards a customer-friendly, organized, clean and happy workplace
6. The offering of professional medical advice surrounding different side-effects, drug interactions, and dosages on a wide range of different prescription drugs and medications
Basically, the primary role of a surgical technician is to assist the surgeon, doctor and other various healthcare professionals in a surgical setting with anything and everything related to the process of surgery.
The importance of the role of surgical technician can simply never be overestimated, and involves a myriad of different roles and responsibilities, which are often needing to be conducted at the same time:
1. The verification and checking of the various instruments on the pre-surgical list, as well as other surgical supplies, ahead of the operation
2. The handing of instruments and surgical equipment to one or more surgeons during the surgery itself
3. The overall improvement of the efficiency of the surgery
4. The vigilant maintaining of a sterile and clean environment in the operating room
5. The preparing of the patient ahead of surgery, including the disinfection and cleaning of an incision site, and the application of drapes which have been sterilized onto the patient
Finally, but just as importantly, the fifth most in-demand role across the United States and indeed beyond, in the world of medicine and healthcare is that of a dental hygienist.
The role of a dental hygienist is one which is absolutely essential to the dentist themselves and involves the following duties, to name but a few:
1. The screening of each patient, which includes neck and mouth examinations and the reviewing of past oral health issues
2. Taking various X-rays and developing detailed dental impressions, as well as producing radiographs of the teeth and mouth
3. The removal of plaque and the general cleaning of the teeth
4. The provision of help and guidance to prevent gum diseases, and other oral health issues
5. Staying up-to-date with the major developments in innovative treatment and equipment in the dentist room
6. The collection and collation of dental and medical histories of each and every patient ahead of the appointment
7. Keeping patients calm, including entertaining small children, when they are having their dental examination
8. The educating on proper gum care and teeth hygiene, as well as the supreme importance of good oral health
9. The sterilization of all dental equipment and instruments
10. Generally supporting the dentist throughout the dental examination as well as before and after