A martial arts school can be a very rewarding and profitable business venture. As long as you have the passion for teaching and the drive to succeed, you can make your martial arts school a success.
Starting a martial arts school is, however, not as easy as it may seem. There are a number of things you need to take into account before starting your own school. In this article, we will discuss the five top tips that will help you make an informed decision.
Create A Business Plan
The surest way to fail at anything is by failing to plan. This rule applies ten fold when starting a martial arts school. Before you do anything else, take the time to sit down and create a business plan. This document will outline your goals for the school, how you intend to achieve them, and what resources you will need to make them happen.
Seek to answer the following questions in your plan:
- What will be the cost of starting the martial arts school?
- Who are your target clients?
- What services and programs will you offer?
- How often will you hold classes?
- Where will your school be located?
- How much will you charge?
Answering these questions will help you lay down a foundation for your business and guide you in making the right decisions.
Find A Great Facility In A Good Location
One of the most important aspects of starting a school is finding the right location. The facility you choose will need to be large enough to accommodate your classes and the equipment or storage you may need. It is also important to find a location that is in a desirable area, with plenty of potential students nearby.
Finding the ideal location is not always easy. You will likely need to do some research and make a few calls before you find the right place. Below are some tips to help you find the perfect location for your school:
- Ask around: Talk to other martial arts instructors in your area and see if they know of any good locations.
- Look online: There are a number of websites that list available commercial properties for sale or rent.
- Check with your local municipality: Your city or town’s website may have a section that lists all the available properties for sale or rent in your area.
- Contact real estate agents: A good real estate agent will know of many properties that are not yet listed online.
Choose Your Martial Arts Curriculum Wisely
There are so many martial art styles today that choosing one can be difficult for many people new to this field. While all these self-defense techniques serve a similar purpose, they differ in technique and application.
Choosing the right martial arts training curriculum for your school is vital. This will give you a clear understanding of what to teach, how to teach it, and why. The best curriculum for your school should be effective and safe for both students and instructors.
- Below are some tips that can help you choose the right martial arts curriculum for your school:
- Do your research: Make sure you are familiar with the different curriculums available and the benefits each one has to offer.
- Talk to other instructors: Ask other instructors about their experiences teaching different curriculums. You can even join platforms like Facebook groups or online forums to ask questions and get feedback from other instructors.
- Check the standards: Make sure the curriculum you choose meets the standards of your governing body (or other reputable organizations).
Create A Quality Website
Your website is your first and last chance to present yourself to a potential client. It is important to have a functional website that is easy to navigate and provides all the necessary information about your school.
Something worth noting is that your martial arts school’s website should not be a typical “brochure” website. It should be more like a blog that discusses topics related to martial arts and provides interesting and valuable content for your visitors.
A good martial arts website should contain:
- A gallery: Showcase your school’s best students and performances here.
- Class schedule: This should be easy to find and clearly indicate the days, times, and types of classes offered.
- Location: Include a map or directions on how to get to your school.
- Testimonials: Positive reviews from past and current clients will help build trust with prospects.
- Contact information: Make it easy for people to contact you by providing multiple ways to do so (email, phone number, social media links, and more).
Make sure that all the content on your website is up-to-date and accurate. Regularly update your news section with events at your school, new programs added, upcoming tournaments, and more. This will show potential clients that you’re an active and thriving school.
Invest In The Right Equipment
For a fact, no one will go to a martial arts school that doesn’t have the right equipment. Providing your students with the best martial arts gear will keep them coming back for more and maintain their safety during training sessions!
If you’re going to start a martial arts school, make sure that you provide your students with all of these necessary tools from day one including bag gloves, mouth guards, head gear, and more.
However, remember not all equipment you find in the market is created equal. Make sure to do your research and invest in quality gear that will last a long time! Here are some equipment shopping tips to help you get started:
- Go for quality, not cheap: You don’t want to have to replace your equipment every few months because it’s not built to last. Spend a bit more on quality gear that will withstand the test of time.
- Get what you need, not everything: It can be tempting to buy all the latest and greatest martial arts gear out there, but remember that you don’t need it all. Choose the essentials and get the best quality you can afford.
- Think about your budget: Don’t break the bank on equipment. There are plenty of affordable options out there if you do your research.
- Ask around: Talk to other instructors and find out what gear they recommend. You might be able to get a good deal on quality equipment if you buy in bulk.
Make sure your students have the best martial arts gear to protect them during training. Not only will this make your school look more professional but it will also show that you care about their safety.
Comments are off this post!