Burpees are one of the most effective cardio exercises for burning fat at home. It is full body exercise that can be done without any equipment. It is used in strength training as well as an aerobic exercise.
Burpees workout is also commonly referred with different names such as Squat Thrusts or Up-downs. Your abdominals are the primary muscles that get worked during the burpees exercise. With every rep, you’ll work your arms, chest, quads, glutes, hamstrings, apart from abs.
Caution: This exercise is not advised for people with lower back problems.
Want to learn how to do a burpees workout, the right way? Then read further for our detailed workout instructions, notes, video and pro tips for learning proper form and training better.
Following the 8 steps mentioned below, you can perform the Burpees exercise:
- Starting position: Get yourself in the standing position, with your hands by your sides and keep your feet shoulder’s width apart.
- Now, Squatting down, put your hands down on the floor, with your palms touching the ground and placed right in front of your feet.
- Lean forward towards the floor, stomach facing the ground such that, your legs are extended backwards to their full length. Your Palms should be touching the ground and arms extended in a push up position.
- Now, Jump out your feet and spread them to an extent more than hip’s width apart and then immediately jump back your feet to the same position.
- Finish one full push up.
- Now push your feet forward (jumping), bringing them behind your hands.
- Final position: With a rigorous push to your heels, return to the initial/starting position.
- Repeat the above steps.
Overall, burpees exercise is considered easy in difficulty level. Therefore, both men as well as women can perform this exercise.
Other related workouts:
Other workouts which work over the same primary muscles:
- Bicycle Crunches / Air Bikes
- Wide Stance / Sumo Barbell Squat
- Mountain Climbers
- Dumbbell Side Lunge
- Dumbbell Lunges
Find out more awesome bodybuilding exercises here.