Eager to know how to do Back Extensions / Hyperextensions? Read on further for detailed workout instructions, notes, video and pro tips for learning proper form and train better for it.
What is a Back Extensions / Hyperextensions Workout?
Back extension/Hyperextension is a strength training exercise. It is performed for strengthening lower back muscles. This workout targets the middle and lower back (or lats) as the primary muscle group and glutes and hamstrings as the secondary muscle group.
The difficulty level for performing Back extension/Hyperextension exercise fluctuates between being hard at the initial stages to turning moderate after gaining strength and being comfortable.
Equipment Required: Roman Chair
When performed without a roman chair, it is called The Bird Dog Exercise. It involves lifting one arm and at the same time lifting the opposing leg, and then releasing.
How To Do Back Extensions / Hyperextensions?
6 steps to do back extensions with right form and technique:
- Rest with your face down on a hyper extension bench letting your upper thighs and lower hips support on the support pad. Make sure you’re in a position, with your waist acting as the fulcrum between your upper and lower bodies. Waist must bend freely on the bench.
- Now, lock your ankles under the lock pad.
- Starting position: Make your body absolutely straight from head to toe and start the exercise. You may fold your arms across your chest, place them behind- over the back, or you may place them by the side of your head.
- Final position: Now very slowly but steadily bend your body in the forward direction. Relax your abdominal and back muscles.
- Continue the stretching of your back downwards, to as much extent as possible. Do not move your shoulders from the support pad while in this position. feel a slight stretch in your hamstrings. Stay in the same position till you count one.
- Now, you got to return to the position you started from by contraction of your abdominal and back muscles until you reach the initial straight position. Remember not to arch your back after completing the movement. Pause for a moment and repeat.
As you improve your strength and flexibility by performing Back extension/Hyperextension exercise, you can start placing a weight plate against your chest to enhance resistance.
The Back extension/Hyperextension exercise can be performed by both males and females.
Related Workouts That Affect The Same Primary Muscles:
- Russian Twist
- Renegade Row / Alternating Plank Row / Commando Row
- Close Grip Pullup / Chinup
This doesn’t end here. Find out more awesome bodybuilding exercises here.