We have heard a lot about Hollywood and Bollywood talking about building their pack abs. But before we step on to those ripping abs, let’s talk about building your core. Whether you want to be the proud owner of a six pack or an eight pack, what drives a muscular physique is the core. A well developed and muscular core is as much an indicator of strength as it is of health. Men and women, the world over, dream of possessing a strong and toned mid section but only a few of them actually ever achieve that goal. If you, too, dream of having a tight, strong core and have been looking for a training program that will help you get closer to that ideal, you are at the right place.
To build a strong set of abs, you need to follow the proper diet and cardio regime. First, we seek to understand the composition of the core. Then, we move on to the functions and location of these parts. The core is made up of four parts:
- Rectus Abdominus– This covers the region from the sternum to the pelvis bone. It is known as abs or the six pack. Its primary function us to pull the upper torso to the hips. To work on this part, you can use exercises like crunches or sit ups.
- Obliques– This is located at the side of your waist and has three layers of muscle: internal obliques, external obliques and transverse obliques. Its function is to facilitate the twisting of the torso. The exercises you can opt for are side bends and decline oblique crunches.
- Serratus– This is located between your front abs and lats. It performs the function of pulling the scapula around and forward, as in the motion of throwing a punch. Exercises to be used are single arm cable crunches and barbell pull overs.
- Intercostals– This is situated between the side of your rib cage and its function is to elevate and depress the ribs. Exercise for this region is truck twists.
Fast twitch muscle fibers primarily compose the core. They are denser than slow twitch muscle fibers. Therefore, heavy and hard rounds of exercise will stimulate these fibers. This implies that core training must be carried out in the moderate rep range for best results. Endless sit ups and crunches will not do the trick here.
Here are five kickass core strengthening workout programs that will show awesome results.
- Bodyweight Side- Bends 3×12 each side
- Cable Crunches- 3×8
- Seated Leg Tucks- 3×12
- Crunches- 3×12
- Air Bike Crunches- 3×12
- Crunches Hands over Head- 3×12
- Seated Barbell Twists- 3×10 each side
- Flat Bench Lying Leg Raise- 3×8
- Frog Sit Ups- 3×12
- Oblique Crunches- 3×12 (on the floor)
- Reverse Crunch- 3×12
- Jack Knife Sit Ups- 3×12
- Abs Crunch Machine- 3×8
- Crunch- Legs on exercise ball- 3×8
- Barbell Side Bends- 3×8 each side
- Russian Twist- 3×12
- Decline Crunch- 3×8
- Exercise Ball Crunch- 3×12
- Leg Pull In- 3×12
- Dumbbell Side Bends- 3×8 each side
Use these workout programs to get the sexy abs you have always wanted and make sure you rotate these workouts periodically. Incorporate these in your training schedule and before you know, you will have a strong and muscular core. Share your experience in the comment below!