You do not need to register at the gym and do workouts to get fit, melt unwanted body fat, and become healthy. In fact, you do not even need any equipment for that. The truth is that, getting to the gym everyday to get fit is not a reality, and this is more applicable especially for moms, busy people, and individuals who work from home.
No matter how hard you find it to keep up with your appointments at the gym, you should know that keeping fit is good for your health, appearance and overall well-being.
Although you may think strength training requires heavy weight and maybe some moaning and grunting, the truth is your body itself is an awesome piece of workout equipment itself. With your body weight and of course, the power of gravity, you can build muscle, burn fat, and get a well sculpted body.
All you need to know is the right way to put your body to work for your body.
Cardio exercises you can do at home
You can do your cardio workouts at home without a treadmill or elliptical trainer. These workouts will help you burn your calories and rev up your metabolism and you will be looking trim and fit in no time. Some of the cardio workouts that you can try are as follows.
The jumping jack is a cardiovascular exercise that burns a good amount of calories. It tones the both the inner and outer thighs, the quadriceps, the lateral muscles, and deltoids as well. When doing the workout, remember to tuck in your tummy to get toned lower abs as well.
Steps to do it:
- Stretch your arms and legs well before you start
- Stand straight. Keep your spine and head straight, while resting your arms beside your body and keep your feet together
- Slightly bend your knees, and jump up in the air as high as you can
- As you jump, spread your legs a little wider than your shoulder and stretch your hands in line with your shoulders, simultaneously
- While coming down, ensure that your feet rest on the floor at shoulder width and your hands are stretched out above your head.
- Swiftly jump back to step 3 and then repeat steps 4 to 6, without rest until you complete one set of 20 Jumping jacks for starters.
This workout is a calorie crunching move that would help you burn fat in your thighs, biceps, calf muscles and biceps. If you can hold your tummy while doing it, it will help you tone your abs.
Steps to do it:
- Stand erect with your spine and head straight. Your arms should rest beside your body, foot together
- Stretch your legs outwards to rest at hip width
- Jump up as high as you can
- Let your arms go above your head crossing at the wrist, simultaneously
- Cross your foot at the ankles as you come down
- Bring your arms down at the same time, crossing them in front of your hips
- Try to inhale while jumping up and exhale while you cross the feet at the floor level
- Swiftly jump back into step 3 and repeat steps 3 to 6, without resting until you complete one set.
You can do this cardio exercise at home, anywhere and anytime, at your convenience. You can even prepare your tea as you do this. Yes, I’m not kidding. By the time your tea water boils, you would have completed a quick round of 30 spot jogs, completing one round. Raise your knees as high as possible and try hard kicking your butt. You can elevate the rate of your heart beat by using your arms, this improves the benefits of this exercise. If you are doing it at your leisure time, then you should spot jog continuously at least for 60 seconds.
Body-weight workouts to do at home
Body-weight exercises are exercises are a very effective and simple way to improve your balance, flexibility and strength without the use of any machinery or equipment.
Exercises for the full body-
- Stand with your knees slightly bent. While standing, jump as high as you can, and bring your knees in towards the chest, while extending the arms straight out.
- Land with your knees slightly bent and quickly jump again.
- Stair climb with bicep curl
Turn your stairs into a cardio machine. Grab some dumbbells or household objects that has weight and briskly walk up and down the stairway while doing the bicep curls to work the whole body.
This is one of the most effective full-body workout around. It starts out in a low squat position with the hands on the flood. Next, kick your feet back to a push-up position, complete one push-up and return to the squat position immediately. Jump up as high as you can before squatting and moving back into the push-up position. There are about 32 variations of burpees for you to try out. Choose the one best for you.
Stand on a well-padded surface and complete a round of traditional push-up. Then, in an explosive motion, do a push up that is hard enough to come off the floor and hang ten for a second. When back on solid ground, immediately head into the next rep.
Exercises for the leg
Stand with your hands on your hips and feet hip-width apart. Now, step your right leg forward and slowly lower your body until your left (back) knee is close to the floor or touching it and bent at least 90 degrees. Go back to the starting position and repeat it on the other side. Try to step back into the lunge for a different variation.
Exercises for the chest and back
The standard push-up
With your hands shoulder-width apart, keep your feet flexed at a hip distance, and tighten the core. Now, bend your elbows until your chest reaches the ground, and then push back up making sure you keep your elbows tucked close to your body.
Exercise for the shoulder and arms
Start by sitting near a step or bench. Sit on the floor with your knees slightly bent. Now, grab the edge of the elevated surface and straighten your arms. Bend the arms to a 90-degree angle, and straighten them again while your heels push towards the floor.
Exercise for the abs
Lie flat on your back with your legs in front of you bent at the knees and your hands crossed in front of your chest. Then, raise your shoulders and your torso as far as possible from the ground in a curling movement making sure not to raise your back from the floor as you exhale. Retain tension on the abs while bringing your torso to the starting position as you inhale. Maintain full control of yourself throughout the movement and avoid rocking back and forth.
These workouts are easier to do than they sound. Do them regularly and you will find out you are looking as fabulous as you’ve always wanted without even visiting the gym.
Patrick Wright loves sharing fitness, workout and wellness ideas, tips, gears and related stuff for men and women looking to transform their physique and minds. Get in touch with hi on twitter for more.